THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

March 5, 2009

We're talkin' about defending. Again.

As anyone who has been watching Pistons basketball this season, especially these games they've played with Iverson out with a back injury, the Pistons play better without Iverson. Is it because AI is out? Is it because they've finally realized that they need to get over the fact that Billups is gone and stop moping around and play like they used to? Is it because the 3 teams that they beat without AI all had missing key players [Jameer, KG, Carmelo]?

Okay - The Pistons lose 8 in a row without Iverson, and eeeeveryone is saying it's because he didn't play any of those games, and Rip was back in the starting lineup.
Did everyone forget about the 7 game winning streak where Rip was out and Iverson was still a starter?

Is it Iverson's fault for the Pistons struggles this season? I'll say it again: No.

AI is clearly having the worst season of his career in Detroit, which is what I didn't expect AT ALL when the trade happened. I thought it'd be the complete opposite. And, while I knew his stats would drop because he's playing with such a talented team, I didn't think our season would look like this. I didn't think that my fellow Pistons fans would turn their backs.

I really and truly believe that the Pistons have been misusing him ever since he became part of the team.
AI is not a good fit -- Not if they expect him play the same way they did with Chauncey.
The Nuggets changed their playing style, clearly, as soon as Billups arrived, and have been doing great [3rd seed in the West currently.]

People are saying he's faking his injury because he's bitter about Curry's decision to have him come off the bench.
You can put those rumors to rest.

He didn't speak with reporters directly, but issued a statement through the team that said he had "no problem with returning as a reserve." and said the same thing he said at that press conference when he was introduced as a Detroit Piston:
“My goal is to help this team win a championship, and I’ve said that from the first day I arrived here in Detroit. I’m going to do whatever it takes to help us achieve our goals as a team, regardless if I’m starting or coming off the bench.”

And as for faking his injury, If you know AI, you know that when he's injured, he's injured. He's always played through injuries, always played despite what doctors say.
He's said recently that he doesn’t think he’s going to have to be out the entire two weeks.

“He wants to get out there as soon as possible." Michael Curry said. "So, hopefully with the treatment and the rest, he’ll feel better and we can get him out there as soon as possible. We need him out there. We need him healthy, out there healthy playing so we can be the team we envision ourselves being.”

I don't know. I sometimes find my gut telling me that Joe Dumars is using him simply for cap space [If Joe lets both AI and Sheed go this summer, Detroit will be about $22 million under the cap] and not his talent. Not what he could bring to the table if they knew how to "use" him correctly.

... And then I think back to the summer of 2000 when the Pistons made a move to get Iverson in a crazy 14-player deal.
But at the time, Iverson was in his prime back then, and months away from becoming the NBA MVP.

I try not to think about what goes on behind closed doors, but I do have an immense love for the Detroit Pistons and Allen Iverson, and I do have a mind - and it wanders.

1 part of me is still happy that I have my favorite player on my home - and favorite - team. And then there's a second part of me that just wishes this trade never happened.

I find myself defending AI and the pistons numerous amounts of times every day. I know hater's are gunna hate [3LW, anybody?!], and that means I'm going to continue to talk, but I take it personally and get really upset, as crazy as that may sound.

I still believe, just like The Answer himself, that he does have his best chance at getting a ring on this team, and hell yes he deserves it more that LeBron, more than Kobe, and more than the Big 3.

And whether or not I question what is going on, I am, as you all know, rooting for my team, as I always have and have been since the start of this season. And I am rooting for AI, as I have since I started watching him back in the Sixers days and quickly fell in love with him and his game, and he became my favorite player ever since.


Until the next game [because you know I will have something to say!], I'll leave you with a thought:

When his contract is up and he is a free agent and goes to another team, which the way things are looking, he will ... there is yet another part of me that would love to see him back in Philly where the glorious days of The Answer all started: 1st round draft pick, Rookie of the Year, All-Star Rookie Game MVP, League MVP, 2x All-Star MVP, Olympian, leading scorer in the league for 4 years ['99, '01, '02, '05], a billion goosebumps every time he played, and so, so much more.

0 comments: